So currently, I’m going into my 4th week at Jakarta, capital of Indonesia, interning at a daily newspaper called The Jakarta Globe.
1. I do not speak Bahasa Indonesia, the first language of this country
2. I am not an Indonesia, therefore, understanding local politics is as hard as trying to sprout some latin words out of my mouth, since this country does have a very corrupted and complicated bureaucratic network.
As such, I’m currently working on the features desk, and for the first time, attempting to write 600-1000 word long articles.
Honestly, I’ve been enjoying myself very much, keeping myself busy with the daily dosage of churning out articles and learning about this place. I have to admit that Indonesia’s a country that is so near to where I was born and bred but had never traveled here before.
Alright, a couple of links to the stories that I’ve done so far and hope you’ll all enjoy reading it!
1. Jakarta Fair: Story that made it to the cover page of the Life & Times section on Monday, June 14
2. Exhibition of an Indonesian artist who salvaged his soul through drawing: Story published on Saturday, June 11
3. Art exhibition titled ‘Cheese’: Story published on Saturday, June 4